Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What about the continents?

We have made it through another day - I have to be honest I was somewhat worried about today.  This morning Poppy was drastically different from the previous days.  I was very worried everyone went home and that he was dying today.  He told me he thought he was dying and I could not get a blood pressure reading with one of those automatic cuffs all day.  He said goodbye to a bunch of his friends today.  He told me he was seeing the "Dream People" and I asked who that is and he said that he doesn't know them yet, but they are young and he will know them soon.  I would like to think they are his angels, but it is more likely hydrocodone angels I would imagine...  He was in a cold sweat all day, but the most concerning new thing going on is a substantial new amount of swelling and his lungs sound wheezy now.  As the day progressed, he seemed to almost rally tonight while hospice was here.  They were able to get a blood pressure of 90/60 so still awful, but it has been worse.  Jim came back - after just going home yesterday he turned back around and got here just in time to help him to the restroom.  The worst tonight, was he didn't quite make it back into his bed, his feet just gave out from under him while getting back into bed.  He is ok, relatively speaking and resting now.

I do have to tell you a little more about the hospice visit - very nice woman - her name is Edith and she looks to be in her late 50's early 60's, very well kept sweet lady with a very strong Jamaican accent.  When she walked in and introduced herself - she asked Poppy how he was feeling and he told her that he was pretty sure he was dying.  She gently smiled at him and told him that we were all dying, that it was ok, we are just all at different stages.  Well put.  So she took a lot of information to get all of his meds into her computer and it was really a long visit, I think about 2 hours. she asked if he wanted help showering and he said no - we collectively vetoed that one.  Then she asked if he would like a massage therapist to visit and he said no.  Again, I vetoed that one as well.  I said Poppy, come on, it will make you feel good.  He paused and looked at Edith and said, "ok, if I can have a little hoochy coochy too" She laughed and in her sweet Jamaican accent she said, "no hoochy coochy." then she asked him if he had pain and on a level of 1 - 10 what was it and he said sometimes a 10 so she explained to him, that he was not to wait for his pain to get that bad.  Then she asked if he had problems walking and he said no (I also objected to that answer as well). Then she asked, "what about incontinence?" Without skipping a beat he said, well, there's Australia, Africa, Asia...  very witty.  He's still got it...  : )

3 comments:

  1. "hoochy coochy" Hah, I love it! Good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoochy Coochy! I can hear his voice saying this as I read. Love him so much

    ReplyDelete