Monday, July 18, 2011

Playin the odds...

Ok, before I get too far, I need to explain why this is funny to me.  My Aunt is here with us right now.  She is my mothers little sister and she is also a nun.  She is in her mid 50's I think and my father always calls her nun and it makes us laugh.  He has been telling her lately that she is "a good nun".  Cracks her up too - I remember when she became a nun, he wore her habit around and made fun of her, but always in good fun.  Well yesterday (Sunday)Poppy was unable to get to church, so my mom and aunt brought church to him.  I will get into Poppy's beliefs at a later time, but suffice it to say, my mother is absolutely much more "Catholic" than my father, but he is always happy to accommodate my mother because he simply loves her.  So after church we are all in his room gathered around his bed and my aunt says a quick prayer or two before communion and everyone then gets communion and everyone leaves the room. Everyone except for myself and my oldest daughter.  My oldest daughter and Poppy are very close and she understands he very crass sense of humor.  So anyways, Poppy is laying in bed and I am across the room rocking the baby and Jessica (my oldest daughter) is laying in bed next to Poppy and we begin talking about religion and he tells Jessica that my mother of course "loves church" and that he is not all that "into organized religion".  Then he does his best W.C. Fields impersonation and referring to the communion he just ingested he smiles and says - "playin the odds, just playin the odds" I know, I know, it may be awful, but it is Poppy and it was pretty funny.

2 comments:

  1. Jodi, Poppy and Bobby McCullough would have gotten along swimmingly!

    ReplyDelete