Friday, June 17, 2016

Happy Fathers Day Poppy


5 years - 5 years have gone by.  Trey is five and you have another grandson - we named him after you, but we call him Wyatt.  That is his nickname really, but he is your little mini me - he was a surprise and he has your quirky sense of humor.  I have a funny story about Wyatt, but I have a funny feeling I am not telling you anything you don't already know.  Wyatt got pretty sick 2 years ago.  He ended up in the emergency room several times and no one could figure out what was going on other than his little immune system was attacking his little body and he would randomly go into anaphylactic shock. They actually thought he leukemia for a little while and I am not going to lie - I was terrified, I lost one son and I was very aware that sometimes things that only happen to "other people" actually can happen to my children.  So, the doctors were all trying to help and they were trying to suppress these attacks which involved a lot of different medications including steroids...  As you know, a baby on steroids is no fun.  He was cranky and not his normal sweet self.  So one evening, I took Wyatt and went to put him to bed early.  It was around 7:00 pm in June, so it was still light out.  He had just turned 2 years old and Wyatt still was not talking.  Wyatt was a preemie and we still have trouble understanding him sometimes but at 2 he wasn't talking yet at all.  He loved to snuggle though and he had/has a special blanket (that he still sleeps with) he refers to as dee dee.  So Wyatt and dee dee and I were quietly rocking in his bedroom.  After about 10 minutes Wyatt started pointing to the ceiling and he was laughing and waving.  I panicked - because, I was actually thinking he was hallucinating or maybe going into another episode but I was worried about the steroids and his little body so I yelled for Bill, which caused Trey to come running (because Trey is Bill's "mini me").  Trey had just turned 3 and Trey's language was very clear and he was (and still is) very communicative.  So Trey is standing in the door way to Wyatt's bedroom with Bill and I am across the room in the rocking chair with Wyatt.  Wyatt is still laughing and waving and then Trey starts laughing and waving in the same direction.  I asked Trey what he was laughing at and he said "Poppy - is making silly faces and waving" I looked at Bill with that look of disbelief and or maybe - they are all crazy look or perhaps we have some kind of carbon monoxide leak and we are all hallucinating look. Anyways, we are all silently looking at each other and the boys start waving again and I asked Trey,  do you see Poppy now? and he says "No, he had to go."  with that Trey turned and walked away. That's it! It never happened again - I looked at Bill as if he would have some words of wisdom. He said, "Jodi, they are too young to make that one up".  It's not science and perhaps someone can come up with some legitimate reason for that happening, but I knew you would love this story regardless, because it is a perfect Poppy story.  I don't know how or why they did that but I do know this - I miss you - I miss your daily calls, your daily jokes, I miss that when I called you, you would say "hello hello hello" three times, every time.  I miss that I can't call you to tattle on meme or tell you about the funny things that happen in my house, but I hope that you know all of this and I know that someday (not too soon) I will get to see you again and I am good with that, but I love you Poppy, I love you so much ~ and I miss you more than I knew I would.  Happy Fathers Day!


Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. - Albert Einstein 

No comments:

Post a Comment